My name is Jo Lee, I'm a mixed media artist & educator based in Leeds, Yorkshire. I create & make from my studio, Boo! named because it's always a surprise as to what comes out of it!
I mainly work in clay but will use whatever is needed to satisfy my curious creativity and enjoy photography, drawing, painting, plaster, alginate, performance & video.
My dad has always told me that my life is very colourful but my work tends to be mainly black and white. There are two sides to me and my work - the sensitive and the silly but ultimately, my work is driven by the human experience.
I am fascinated by people and the traces left by their existences, emotions, ageing and relationships. I love watching, drawing and photographing people. In fact, I love photographing most things, magnifying the small in an attempt to see things differently or is this just a way for me to catalogue memories of experience?
I draw inspiration from people such as Christian Boltanski, Tony Oursler, Ron Mueck, Juan Munoz, Neil Gaiman, Gordon Baldwin, Carol McNicoll & Mr Potato Head.
- 11-12 : NQT year. Awarded QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)
- 10-11 : PGCE Secondary Art & Design (Merit) Manchester Met. University
- 04-07 : BA (Hons) Ceramics (First) Wolverhampton University
- 2006 : Alfred University, New York State, USA. Exchange Student
- 03-04 : Art Foundation (Distinction) Batley School of Art & Design
- 99-00 : City & Guilds B&W Photography (Distinction) Park Lane College, Leeds
- 16: 'Special Award for Impact': Saltaire Inspired Makers Fair Exhibitor Award
'Awarded for taking our judge's breath away for originality and work that takes a risk'
Awarded by Hayley Walker, Artistic Director at the Craft Centre and Design Gallery, Leeds
- 08: Long Listed for Threadneedle Figurative Prize, Mall Galleries London.
- 07: 'The People's Choice' Leeds City Art Gallery Open Show: Joint winner
- 07: 'Setting Out' - Craft Potters Association
- 07: Studentship Award - Potclays
- East Street Arts, Leeds. UK
- Licentiate Member of Society of Designer Craftsmen with Merit www.societyofdesignercraftsmen.org.uk
- Member of Kent Potters Association
- Craft Potters Association
- Northern Potters